Beaches are the way to go if you want to relax and rejuvenate. Be it a digital detoxification or a break from the shackles of daily-life problems; one mostly prefers to go to a beach to let go of. One of the most popular beaches in Nigeria is the Ibeno Beach which attracts tourists as well as local people for relaxation purposes.
One of the many beaches situated on the shorelines of Ibeno is The Ibeno Beach.
The main feature of the beach is that amongst the sand beaches in West Africa, it is the longest.
Ibeno, situated in Nigeria, is a localized area of the government.
As it is evident, the title has been derived from its location. In Nigeria, only a few tourist attractions are as great as it.
RELATED: Top 10 Beautiful States in Nigeria
Extending from the Atlantic Ocean, covering almost 30 kilometers, it goes up to the Jamestown situated in Akwa Ibom.
It occupies a total area of 1200 square kilometers.
The beach forms a border between West Africa and the Atlantic Ocean.
This beach has quite an interesting history as well.
It is estimated to have been taken over by the tribe, which went by the name of the Ibeno tribe, in 1200 – 1500 BC.
Thus, it can be said that the Ibeno Beach is amongst the oldest coastal areas located in Nigeria and Western Africa.
Features of The Ibeno Beach
Enough with the facts, let us talk about the features of the place. Ibeno Beach is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful natural beaches present in Nigeria.
The whole stretch of Ibeno Beach is creatively and beautifully decorated for the enjoyment of the local people as well as the tourists.
Adding to the natural beauty is a scenic coastline along with the natural white sand, which, to be honest, words cannot do justice to. Mere words cannot do justice while describing the beauty of the beach.
RELATED: VISIT THE KINGDOM OF WARRI AND HIS KING OLU OF WARRI
The sound of waves splashing mixed with a cinematic view of seagulls along with the shadows cast by the tall trees in addition to the pleasant sound made by seagulls paint a very vivid and fascinating picture of this picturesque beach.
The trees bordering the coastline are coconut trees, which provide coconut in case of dehydration.
The view of the Gulf of Guinea also acts as a contributing factor for catching the attention of travelers from all around the globe.
There are a number of hotels available for tourists who wish to stay and explore the beach properly.
Paradise for Turists
The beach experiences clear, sunny daytime, beautiful and aesthetic evening and comfortable, cozy nights. The breeze flowing makes the experience even better.
Nothing would be more relaxing than simply being present there and just breathing, taking it all in one, one step at a time. Being able to sit quietly in this fast world and simply enjoy the beauty of nature is enough to relieve a person of troubling mental stress.
There are plenty of mediums of enjoyment for travelers visiting Ibeno Beach. Some of them are – volleyball, water sports, etc.
One of the most popular activities to try out there is rafting.
Tourists can also take walks along the coast for an eye-warming look of the Gulf over which flares of gas from the offshore oil platforms of ExxonMobil present a visual representation of the sea having flamed fire tongues.
Regarding the safety of the tourists, the area is patrolled by seasoned guards all year long. Most people come for walking along the coastline while others come for soaking their bodies for experiencing the therapeutic treatment of their muscles and joints.
The construction of the Ibeno bridge by the Government of Nigeria in 2013 really facilitated the economic activities taking place in the region as well as catch the eyes of tourists.
The six hundred meters bridge is quite unique and definitely a factor contributing to the popularity of the Ibeno Beach.
There are a number of events which take place on the beach. Some of them are:
- Christmas Funfair – It starts on 26th December and ends after a day, i.e., 27th December.
- Bum Makossa Dance Festival – This is a special kind of event in which a fabulous display of dance is shown.
- Miss Bikini Beach Carnival – This event is like a bikini-model contest. Many locals participate in this event.
- Valentine Show – This is held in the month of February (you guessed it) to celebrate the spirit of Valentine’s Day.
- Easter Fiesta – This event is held on Easter.
The beach hosts events for people belonging to different cultures and ones following different faiths, which makes the beach friendlier and more versatile for people from different parts of the world.
Hotels Neraby The Ibeno Beach
As mentioned earlier, there are quite a number of hotels available for facilitating the stay of the tourists. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Villa Marina Hotel – This is a 3-Star hotel located in Aket, Akwa Ibom. All 127 rooms are equipped with key-cards and offer best-in-class service to their customers. Wi-Fi is available in addition to the main bar, swimming pool, and a restaurant.
- Utimanik Suites – This hotel features designer bedrooms, an excellent restaurant, a bar, and even proper event spaces meant for business meetings as well as family gatherings. The parking space is also quite spacious. It is an affordable hotel paired with exceptional services and facilities.
- Royalty Hotels – This hotel has a calm and serene environment. Well-decorated rooms, along with adequately decorated interiors, are the main feature of these hotels. The hotels aim to make the stay of the guests as comfortable as possible. Bedside lamps, along with satellite television, are also present in every room.
- Emrosy Hotels – Affordable accommodation is provided at Emrosy Hotels. Air-conditioned rooms with a flat-screen TV, free internet, and clean washrooms are some of the facilities offered here. Local dishes, mainly Nigerian, are available.
- Mangel Hotels – There are various categories of rooms available here, ranging from Deluxe Double to Presidential Suite. Along with the presence of a gym, this hotel also has a well-stocked bar with different varieties of drinks. The presence of an outdoor lounge is another feather in the cap. The availability of adequate parking space is another prominent feature of the hotel. Other services include – laundry/dry cleaning, hirable cars, a 24-hour room service, etc.
There are some essential things which one should carry while going to the white-sand beach in Nigeria. Some of the must-haves are:
- Flip-Flops – to ease walking on the sand.
- Sunscreen – to help protect the skin from the harmful rays emitted by the sun.
- Face Cap – to keep the face safe from insects, sand, and rays.
- Head Gear – To protect the head from external injuries.
- Swimwear – for having the best swimming experience.
Best Time To Visit
The best time to visit the Ibeno Beach is during weekends, holidays or during the festive season.
Places Nearby The Ibeno Beach
In addition to being one of the top tourist attractions, Ibeno Beach also has places nearby which the tourists can go and check out. Some of them are:
- Bridge of No Return – The bridge is of historical significance. It is said that no slave who walked down that bridge ever returned. It is really near to the Amalgamation house and is, in fact, a good spot which is admired by many tourists.
- Cenotaph (Unity Park) – It is situated at Udo Adoma Avenue. This public park also acts as a cenotaph for the heroes who lost their lives. The park remains open for social events and is used by both tourists as well as locals for activities such as sports and parties.
- Akwa Ibom International Stadium – Also known as the Godswill Obot Akpabio International Stadium, it is a 30k seater multi-purpose sports complex. It is considered to be one of the best stadiums in Nigeria. If a person is a sports enthusiast, he or she would definitely love it.
- Amalgamation House – It is situated in Uyo is a single-storied cottage which is of significant historical importance. It is a relic and a point of the strong interest in Uyo.
Do you need to book in advance to visit the Ibeno Beach?
No. You do not need to book anything in advance. However, it is recommended that you book so that you do not face any kind of inconvenience. All you need to take care of is the accommodation, which will not be an issue since there are a number of proper hotels nearby.
What’s the best way to see Inebo Beach?
Ibeno Beach can be explored at any time since it is an evergreen tourist spot, but if you want an experience to cherish for a lifetime, you should visit the place during the festive season. There are a number of ways to explore the beach, including taking guided tours. One can also take walks along the beach to look at and admire the beauty of the beach.